Join Our Community!
Virginia Beach Friends School provides a nurturing community of academic excellence which encourages mutual respect, personal responsibility, and the fulfillment of each person's potential through integrating the values of equality, integrity, simplicity, peace and environmental stewardship. To that end, we seek qualified individuals with the knowledge, skills, and ability to enhance our students' experience and strengthen our community.
VBFS maintains a competitive salary and benefits package that supports our employees while offering the space for creativity and independence in the classroom.
For teaching positions, a master’s degree and teaching experience in the field is preferred; a bachelor's degree is required. For staff positions, we seek candidates with relevant experience and a commitment to excellence and enthusiasm in the workplace community.
Positions are listed on this page as they become available.
To apply, please send cover letter, CV, completed employment application, and three references to [email protected].
A background screening will be required once a conditional offer of employment, including fingerprints.
We're always on the search for amazing individuals to join our community. Whether it be volunteers, substitute teachers, or varying full/part-time positions, if you have a background and passion for education, or feel your skill set matches a need to be filled at VBFS, we want to hear from you!
Upper School English Teacher
Candidates should be comfortable with a variety of teaching techniques including:
- Integrating technology into the curriculum
- Ability to use differentiated instruction.
- Experience and background in curricular and pedagogical innovation
Responsibilities for this position also include collaboration and full participation in an English department to ensure excellent scope and sequence, as well as participation in a professional school-wide learning community.
The ideal candidate will have a degree or advanced degree in English or a related field, along with 9th through 12th-grade teaching experience in academic areas including American Literature, World Literature, British Literature, and Contemporary Literature. The ideal candidate will also have experience with honors and AP courses.
Virginia Beach Friends School was founded in 1955 and is a Friends School guided by the Quaker testimonies (simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality and stewardship).
VBFS is a progressive learning environment and is looking for dynamic candidates who are creative, love learning and want to share their passion for education.
Upper School Math Teacher
At Virginia Beach Friends School, a K-12 independent school, we integrate the Quaker values of equality, integrity, simplicity, peace and environmental stewardship with a creative, vibrant, and exciting learning environment.
VBFS seeks an experienced math teacher with a background in curricular and pedagogical innovation. Ideal candidates will be both capable of and comfortable with teaching students of a wide range of age, maturity and ability levels and have experience teaching first-year algebra through upper-level courses. Cross divisional experience (Grades 6-12) is a plus. Responsibilities for this position will include collaboration and participation in a school-wide math department, facilitation of STEM related and other co-curricular activities and academic advising. Teachers with experience in teacher mentoring and departmental leadership are encouraged to apply.
Teachers at VBFS enjoy a school community committed to a pedagogy rooted in Quaker thought and practice. We strive to collaborate toward the realization of every child’s highest potential in the classroom, community, and wider world. At VBFS, all teachers are active community members who share in the general support and care of the school community, serve as student advisors, and participate in community service and overnight trips, among other activities.
Experience and Qualifications
- Qualified candidates hold a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, computer science, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous teaching experience in middle/high school education is preferred.
- Proficiency with digital communication and ability to integrate technology effectively in the classroom is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and above or in their senior year of undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university.
- Willing to be contacted for coverage the morning of placement
- Must be able to work the full school day of 7:50 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Support the teacher by implementing the daily curriculum for assigned grade level
- Create and maintain a positive, structured learning environment
- Hold students to high academic and behavior standards consistent with the Virginia Beach Friends School Mission Statement
- Hold students accountable during class time, transitions, meals, recess time, and other learning opportunities that may be assigned to the substitute educator
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a safe environment for all students
Virginia Beach Friends School is seeking a full time learning specialist who is patient, kind, and enjoys working one on one with students. This candidate will partner with teachers and parents to ensure the academic success of the students through academic support at the learning center.
This full-time, ten-month position reports to the Academic Dean.
- Provide leadership and expertise to ensure that the learning center and its programs are aligned with the mission and strategic goals of the school.
- Conduct informal evaluations, and provide direct support and instruction to students in Reading, Writing, and Math.
- Differentiate the curriculum for individual students, including coordinating with the classroom teacher to reinforce and integrate strategies into the classroom.
- Collaborate with administrators, classroom teachers, parents, and outside educational therapists to support students with learning differences.
- Read and utilize personalized education plans.
- Maintain contact and communication with parents of children with exceptional needs. Provide documentation and evidence of learning and academic endeavor to these families.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in special education preferred.
- Eligibility for Special Education endorsement in Virginia.
- Training in administration, scoring and interpretation of the Woodcock Johnson test.
- Experience with reading, phonic programs, such as, Orton-Gillingham preferred.
- Familiar with Singapore math.
- Understand psychological evaluations, testing, and assessments.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience with Google Apps for Education.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership, and organizational skills.
VBFS provides an inquiry-based, progressive educational model guided by the Quaker testimonies of simplicity, peace, integrity, equality, and stewardship. A Friends education program aims to prepare students to become inquisitive learners, compassionate citizens, and courageous leaders.
Office Manager & Registrar
The Office Manager & Registrar for Virginia Beach Friends School plays has a vital role in the success of the daily and long-term operation of the school and greater community. We are looking for someone who is welcoming, organized, enjoys being a part of and building community, and of course loves children. The primary responsibility is to manage the school office and aid the senior administration with critical components of their respective jobs. Along with this, the Office Manager and Registrar will manage and maintain all school records and operational communications. The responsibilities of the Office Manager & Registrar will include but may not be limited to:
- Manage and run all operations of the school office.
- Greet all guests and visitors while providing a thoughtful and warm presence for children and adults. Ensure phone calls are covered and the reception area is manned.
- Ability to articulate and apply the Quaker values of equality, integrity, simplicity, peace and environmental stewardship in the running of the office.
- Assist in student drop off and pick up standards set by Head of School.
- Assist Head of School and Assistant Head of School in daily support of their responsibilities.
- Responsible for updating, maintaining, and communicating the All School Calendar and any relevant changes to all necessary VBFS community parties. Coordinate with Marketing colleagues to ensure events are promoted via school blog, newsletters, and social media.
- Work with the PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) at the discretion of the HOS to ensure the successful outcome of high profile PTO events.
- Order all necessary supplies for administration as needed and/or directed.
- Assist as needed with admissions visitors and help in the preparation of admissions open house as needed.
- Oversee and maintain the overall appearance of the school as related to the common areas.
- Manage and distribute child medication; oversee sick room as necessary.
- Maintain and manage the school’s Student Information System.
- Serve as an administrator on the Jupiter Student information system to assist in scheduling and distribute academic records.
- Maintain all health-related records in accordance with Virginia Department of Education rules and standards.
- Update, maintain, and process all school related forms and related documentation needed on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.
- Maintain and update all records and documentation required by the Virginia Department of Education which includes: fire and safety drills and record keeping, health documentation and enrollment information.
- Collate, coordinate, update and distribute all mass mailings and email communications which include Welcome Packages, All School Directories, Employee and Family Handbooks, etc.
Experience and Expertise Required:
- 3-5 years held in organizational roles
- Detail orientated and able to multi-task efficiently
- Proactive and an ongoing desire to make experiences and processes more efficient
- Effective communicator
- Proficient in MS Office, Google Suite and ability to learn new systems
Communications & Admissions Specialist (Part-Time)
The Communications & Admissions Specialist for Virginia Beach Friends School plays a critical role in the external communication and promotion of the school to the greater Virginia Beach and Hampton Roads community. We are looking for someone who would become a strong brand advocate and would share their love of VBFS with passion, enjoys being a part of and building community, and of course loves children. The primary responsibility is to manage all social media properties and regular newsletters in partnership with the Head of Advancement and Admissions pipeline under the guidance of the Head of School. The responsibilities of the Specialist will include but may not be limited to:
- Manage all social media properties for the school. To include promotion (paid and unpaid), engagement, and reviews with the goal of improving the reputation of the school and extending its reach. Act as community moderator on all properties, maintaining an efficient and responsive standard of communication outward and inward to a variety of audiences (parents, students, donors, external community, etc.)
- Manage and distribute all regular email newsletters to the community. Maintain house list via MailChimp.
- Assist in communications for all major school events in coordination with the All School Calendar.
- Maintain the pipeline for admission to VBFS (enrolled, inquiry, visits, etc.). Implement seamless processes in the hand off of enrolled students to Business Manager and Office Manager.
- Serve as assistant to Head of School for all Admissions Events (on-site), tours (on-site), and on-occasion off-site school fairs and/or visits.
- Work with Head of School to formalize the Admissions process (status funnel, forms, files, etc.) to deliver a first-class experience for all potential parents, students, and extended families.
Experience and Expertise Required:
- 3-5 years applicable marketing experience. Social media expert.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized and comfort in speaking to external audiences.